En: Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador

From Freimaurer-Wiki

Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador

Source: Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Newfoundland and Labrador

Although the Grand Lodge is relatively new, Freemasonry in Newfoundland & Labrador can be traced back to 1746. The first Warrant for a Lodge in Newfoundland was granted by Thomas Oxnard, The Provincial Grand Master of Massachusetts,1746 for a lodge believed to be in the Placentia Area, a second Lodge appears on the Massachusetts records as “St. John’s Newfoundland Lodge”. However by 1832 these Lodges had ceased to Function.

On November 29th 1848 St. John’s Lodge was re-established.

In 1858 freemasonry was firmly established when Worshipful Brother Patrick Tasker, a Past Master of Saint John’s Lodge was appointed the first Deputy Provincial Grand Master for the Colony by the Provincial Grand Master of Nova Scotia, Rt Worshipful Brother Alexander Keith, under the authority of the United Grand Lodge of England.

In 1866 the first Scottish lodge was formed here in NL and named Lodge Tasker. Today Newfoundland still has a District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland & Labrador, of the Grand Lodge of Scotland with close fraternal ties to the Grand Lodge of Newfoundland & Labrador.