En: Masonic Noble Prize Winners
Masonic Noble Prize Winners
Source/Credit: Sir George Cathcart No. 617, Bro. David B. Johnston
In alphabetical order
- Jules Bordet (1870-1961: 1919 Nobel Prize for physiology or medicine.
- Brother Jules was Initiated in Les Amis Philanthropes Lodge No.2 Brussels on November 10th 1908.
- Giosue Carducci (1835-1907): 1906 Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Brother Giosue was Initiated in Lodge Felsinia Bologna in 1862. He joined Propaganda Masonica Lodge Rome. There are at least four Giosue Carduccia Lodges named in his honour, Nos 103 and 853 Bologna, No 686 Florence and No 820 Follonica.
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965): 1953 Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Brother Winston was a member of Studholme Lodge No.1591 London. Initiated: 24th. May 1901. Passed: 19th. July 1901. Raised: 25th. March 1902.
- Sir Alexander Fleming (1881–1955): 1945 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.
- Brother Fleming was a member of Sancta Maria Lodge No.2682. Initiated: 8 June 1909, Passed: 9 Nov. 1909 and Raised: 11 Jan 1910. He was also a member of Scottish Rifles Lodge No.2310.(Joined 16 March 1911) and Misericordia Lodge No.3286 London.(Joined 23. Oct. 1925). He also became a Royal Arch Freemason and joined Aesculpius Chapter No.2410 on 27 July1923.
- Dr. Alfred Hermann Fried (1864- 1921): 1911 Nobel Prize for Peace.
- Brother Alfred was a member of Lodge Sokrates Austria.
- Brother Echegaray y Eizaguirre, José (1832-1916): 1904 Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Was a mason according to the “History of the Supreme Council Thirty-Third Degree for Spain and the Dependencies and of Spanish Freemasonry”.
- Joseph Rudyard Kipling (1865–1936): 1907 Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Bro. Rudyard was a member of Hope and Perseverance Lodge No.782 Lahore, India. Initiated: in 1885. He received his Mark Degree in Mark Lodge Fidelity No.98 in Lahore in 1887. Honorary Member of Cannongate Kilwinning Lodge No.2Edinburgh in 1900. Honorary Member of the Motherland Lodge No.3861 London in 1918.
- George Catlett Marshall (1880–1959): 1953 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Brother George was made mason "at sight" on the 16. Dec. 1941 by The Grand Master of The District of Columbia.
- Albert A. Michelson (1872-1931): 1907 Nobel Prize in the sciences.
- Brother Albert became a member of Washington Lodge No.21 New York City in 1875.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Ostwald (1853- 1932)
- Salvatore Quasimodo (1901-1968): 1959 Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Brother Salvatore was a member of Lodge Arnaldo da Brescia No. 959 (Grand Orient of Italy) in E.Licasta, Sicily, as was his father before him. Initiated:31 March 1922.
- Dr. Charles Robert Richet (1850-1935): 1913 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.
- Brother Charles was Initiated in Cosmos Lodge, Paris in 1876.
- Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt (1858 - 1919): 1906 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Brother Roosevelt was a member of Matinecock Lodge No.806. Initiated: Jan. 2 1901. Passed: Mar. 27 1901. Raised Apr. 24 1901.
- Gustav Streseman (1878 – 1929): 1926 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Brother Gustav was a member of Frederick the Great Lodge No 618 Berlin. Initiated: 1929.
- Sir George Cathcart No. 617 http://www.sgc617.co.uk/index_files/Page1034.htm