En:Quatuor Coronati Lodge
Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076
(United Grand Lodge of England)
The Lodge was founded in 1884 by nine Brethren* who were intent on using an evidence-based approach to the study of Masonic history and research into Freemasonry. This innovative approach was intended to replace the imaginative writings of earlier authors on the history of Freemasonry. This new style and approach was later to be referred to as the ‘authentic school’ of Masonic research.
The Founders planned to develop an interest in research among Brethren everywhere, to have papers read and discussed in Lodge and published in its transactions: Ars Quatuor Coronatorum (AQC). The Lodge thus hoped to attract the attention and enlist the cooperation of Masonic scholars in all parts of the world.
Quatuor Coronati Lodge, the Premier Lodge of Masonic Research, continues today to work to the standards laid down in 1884 and we strive to maintain the high quality of research and discussion established at our foundation.
On this site you will find a selection of the papers from our transactions, AQC, which are published on behalf of the Lodge by Q.C. Correspondence Circle Ltd. If, as we hope, you would like to become a subscriber to AQC and thus to receive them regularly, all you have to do is click on this link Join QCCC or that on the right and follow the instructions on the screen.
The founding members were Brothers
- Sir Charles Warren,
- W. Harry Rylands,
- Robert Freke Gould,
- The Revd Adolphus F. A. Woodford,
- Sir Walter Besant,
- John P. Rylands,
- Major Sisson C. Pratt,
- Wilson James Hughan and
- George W. Speth.
The Legend of the Quatuor Coronati
The Legend of the Quatuor Coronati is very interesting to Freemasons because in the legend, as in the Arundel MS.—a transcript of the more important portions of which follows—the Quatuor were originally four Craftsmen by name Claudius, Castorius, Simphorianus, and Nicostratus, “mirificos in arte quadrataria,” which though it is translated the “art of carving,” is literally “the stone-squarer’s art,” or the art of stone-squaring. They are distinctly called “artifices,” artificers, although as the legend shows us, to the four artificers are joined four milites; whilst one Simplicius, converted to Christianity by the four during the progress of events narrated by the legend, is added to the stone-squarers, making nine in all. They are declared to be Christians, “occulte,” secretly. Diocletian ordered an image of Æsculapius to be made, and after a contest and dialogue with “quinque Philosophi” Simphorianus, who appears to be the leader and spokesman, adds Simplicius to the number—now five—and refuses, on their behalf and with their consent, to make the image. They are brought before Lampadius the Tribune, who after reference to Diocletian orders them to be stripped and beaten with scorpions, “scorpionibus mactari,” and then, by Diocletian’s order; they were place in “loculi plumbei,” leaden coffins, and cast into the Tiber.
A certain Nicodemus is said to have raised the coffins and taken them to his own house; levavit says the legend. Two years afterwards Diocletian ordered the soldiers to pay homage to a Statue of Æsculapius, but four “Cornicularii,” or wing-leaders of the city militia, refused. They were ordered to be put to death in front of the image of Æsculapius by strokes of the Plumbata, “ictu plumbatarum.” and their bodies cast into the streets to the dogs, where they lay five days.
The Arundel Legend is taken from a fine MS. of the 12th century, in the British Museum. Its proper reference is Ar: MSS., 91, f. 2186. There is another copy of the legend in the British Museum, Harleian MSS., No. 2802, f 99. There is also a short notice of the Quatuor Coronati in Regius MS., 8, c, 7 f 165, of the 14th century. [p. 78-9.]
Source: A.F.A. Woodford. AQC Vol 1, p. 59. Arundel MSS. reprinted pp. 60-65
- Website of Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076 http://quatuorcoronati.com/