En: Statue of Liberty by Brother Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi
Statue of Liberty by Brother Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi
Source: Wikipedia (first paragraph) and Phoenixmasonry
The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City, in the United States. The copper statue, designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, a French sculptor, was built by Gustave Eiffel and dedicated on October 28, 1886. It was a gift to the United States from the people of France.
Its designer, a Freemason, was Brother Frederic A. Bartholdi (1834-1904).
Along with Brother Bartholdi, Brother Gustave Eiffel was also responsible for the statue. Brother Eiffel designed and built the frame work which holds the copper sheeting in place.
Frederic Bartholdi was one of the early members of Lodge Alsace-Lorraine, Paris (Oct. 14, 1875) which was composed of prominent intellectuals, writers and government representatives.
When his famous statue "Liberty Enlightening the World" was achieved, Bartholdi convened his Lodge to review it, even before the statue was shown to the U.S. committee.
On June 19, 1884, the Lodge, as if it were a pilgrimage, went in a body to review his masterpiece.
On July 4th, 1884 the finished statue was presented to the American Ambassador in Paris, Levi Morton.
On August 5th, 1884, the then Grand Master of Masons in New York, William A. Brodie laid the cornerstone of the pedestal of the statue of "Liberty Enlightening the World" with full Masonic ceremony.
On November 13, 1884 Bartholdi delivered a lecture and gave the Lodge a report on the history and various methods used in the execution of the statue. Again the Lodge witnessed his emotion when he came back from his visit to the United States in 1887, and he told them of the ardent welcome he had received and of the wide enthusiasm created by his work.
- The Statue of Liberty and Freemasonry http://www.pglel.co.uk/Education&Development/materials/miscellaneous/the_statue_of_liberty_and_freemasonry.pdf
- Masonry and the Statue of Liberty http://www.masonicworld.com/education/articles/Masonry-and-the-statue-of-liberty.htm
- Phoenixmasonry http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/statue_of_liberty.htm
- Wikipedia Statue of Liberty https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty
- Wikipedia Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Auguste_Bartholdi
- ARTE "LADY LIBERTY" (documentary) http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/047575-000/lady-liberty